The crisp scent is in the air. The mornings are cooler and darker. And (hopefully where you live!) the green leaves are beginning their magical transition into golds, reds, oranges and browns. Yes, it’s FALL! A change in season is also time for a change in skincare. And though fall isn’t necessarily hugely different (all at once at least), it is a time where the sun is not so harsh on your skin.
This is the time of year to do more with exfoliation
Yes - we are back to peels! Fall is a glorious time for your skin to recover from summer. When summer dryness has made your skin feel parched and rough to the touch. Now is the time to slough off those outer, damaged layers and bring real moisture and glow from within. Sun overload over the past few months can leave your skin incredibly dry and showing signs of discoloration and sun damage. Since your skin won’t be as accessible to those pesky SPF rays, now’s the time to treat. And just like the trees will soon drop their leaves in preparation for winter...we too can see the beauty in shedding the dead layers we no longer need (both in our skin, and in ourselves).
What to do for your skin during the fall months?
- It’s time for peels, fruit acids, enzymes, and deep exfoliation (see below).
- More moisture, oh yes, it’s time now to get those deep layers of skin filled with moisture that is best for your skin type.
- Start using serums and nutrient dense moisturizers that rejuvenate your exfoliated skin cells.
- Receive microcurrent treatments with your facials. Every 3-4 weeks
- Deep exfoliation on a cellular level. Try Ultrasonic Exfoliation or Microdermabrasion (even though I don’t use microdermabrasion) for cellular turnover and renewal. I love my Ultrasonic Exfoliator!
- Buff your skin, regularly and gently. Please, BE GENTLE. Contact me for guidance, because throughout the years I have seen how harsh most people scrub their skin.
*These tips are for all Fitzpatrick skin types with some variances to best support your beautiful skin.
More peels, enzymes and deeper exfoliation
Now that the sun is not blasting away at your lovely skin, you can take time with more exfoliation. That way you get plenty of cellular turnover without the higher risk of sun damage. I am a fan of enzymes, so we will start there. Enzymes are little guys that eat dead skin for lunch! Whereas, peels are agents that go in and break apart the chemical bonds of each skin cell allowing it to slough off. Each ingredient has specific goals in mind so the above descriptions are a broad overview of what enzymes and peels are, but you get the idea.
I suggest twice a week for your at home exfoliation routine, Wednesday and Sunday work well for most people. Not to worry, I will give you tips one the best exfoliants for your skin.
My philosophy with peels for all skin tones, is a light strength done more often. Low and slow, I feel, gives you a safer response for the all over benefits of your skin. This is especially true for darker skin tones and those with hyperpigmentation. Here are some ingredients to look for when selecting products for treating hyperpigmentation on dark skin:
- Azelaic Acid
- Phytic Acid
- Glycolic Acid
- Lactic Acid
- Mandelic Acid
Darker skins (Fitzpatrick 5-6 especially) and long standing hyperpigmented skin, I strongly urge you to be mindful of receiving, and giving yourself peels. Treatment for hyperpigmentation takes far more than just a peel every so often. You have those longer dendrites (the systems that carry melanocytes in our skin) bringing your melanocytes to the surface. So you need to be mindful of superficial peels and agents that also go deeper (gently) on your skin for your best results. Here is a great resource for best results tips.
Sensitive skin types (more commonly, found in Fitzpatrick 1-2) often treatments for your skin are found by treating total body and mind well being. Especially those related to the dietary intake of sugars and highly processed foods. For this I recommend acupuncture or homeopathy.
The best thing here is to know your skin and how you like to work with it. How does it respond to the sun? What about conditions like eczema or rashes? What about redness happening with product application? Severe dryness? What type of climate do you live in? Do you like a big routine or a small one?
Moisturizers that are deeply absorbed into your skin
Use moisturizers that have different molecular cellular sizes. These will absorb into the deeper layers of your skin. Giving more nourishment and regeneration to the inner and outer skin layers.
Target your skin's needs with moisture
Moisture is so necessary for ALL skin types. Moisture dense creams that continue to nourish and add vitamins to your skin will continue the regenerative processes of your skin. Now that you can peel away top layers of skin exposing deeper layers ready for moisture, give your cells what they love, naturally! Glowy skin all season.
Products for your best fall skin:
- Fruit Acid Cleansing Scrub - This super smoothing exfoliating cleanser polishes your skin to perfection. Fitzpatrick 1-3 this is perfect for your skin. Fitzpatrick 3-6 this is the perfect soft, gentle way to exfoliate more often. Anyone with super sensitive skin you might want to use the Oat Facial Cleansing Polish as the Oat Beta Glucan is by far more gentle for your skin. I need to be gentle with my skin and I can carefully use the Fruit Acid Cleansing Scrub.
- Aloe Cleansing Facial Gel - The all around gentle, foaming, sulfate-free cleanser for those wanting pure, clean skin - Use daily. If you like to have a more moisturized finish to your clean skin, go with the Oat Cleansing Facial Polish (above). The Aloe Cleansing Gel really is the workhorse of cleansers, great for all Fitzpatrick types and all peoples.**
- Manuka Honey Cleansing Balm - The best nourishing cleansing balm filled with probiotics and peptides to reinforce the barrier of your skin.
- Rose Toner - To calm your skin - Use day and night before you moisturize. A great midday pick me up for Fitzpatrick 1-6. Fitzpatrick 3-6 this will be amazing if you are prone to inflammation.
Exfoliant/Enzyme - Please start slowly and gently with enzyme peels. Often times more, does not mean better results!
- Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel - Formulated for dull or congested skin. This clarifying peel exfoliates with Pumpkin Enzymes to promote a clear and radiant complexion. Pumpkin: This is an exfoliation accelerator, a powerful antioxidant, and a mild retinoic acid substitute. Pumpkin Enzymes: These help break down dead skin cells for a soft, smooth finish. Cinnamon Bark, Oregano & Rosemary Extract: A potent trio of antiseptic herbs. Due to the mild retinoic acid effect this is perfect for Fitzpatrick 3-6 and those with hyperpigmentation.
- Sweet Cherry Brightening Enzyme Peel - Sweet Cherry Puree is a vitamin-rich anti-inflammatory, while Resveratrol helps brighten and even skin tone. This is easy to apply before your shower and left on for 3-5 minutes. Great for hyperpigmented (sun spots) Fitzpatrick 1-3
- Green Tea Nutrient Scrub - Nutrient rich exfoliating gelee with Sustainable Bamboo Fibers, Beet Sugar, Manuka Honey and Fruit Enzymes. This product is perfect for an at home enzyme treatment as it can be left on the skin for 5-10 minutes. Great for all Fitzpatrick
- Black Current Hydra Creme - Filled with nourishing oils to drench your skin - Use daily, morning and night. This might be too thick and rich for humid climates, if so, check out the two creams below. Perfect for Fitzpatrick 1-6.
- Calendula Essential Hydrating Cream - Your nourishing, deeply moisturizing cream that contains anti-inflammatory Calendula Extract to soothe dry, sensitive skin and conditioning Borage Seed Oil to help soften your summer dry skin. All Fitzpatrick
- Pomegranate Lift Creme - Your super firming daily use cream with DMAE & Peptides. With light amounts of fruit acids, this would be a great one for hyperpigmented and Fitzpatrick 3-6 to start with. Use it alone for a very light amount of enzymatic effects.
- Gotu Kola Intense Repair Balm - Your sumptuous, fast-melting facial balm that is filled with rich emollients for beautifully hydrated skin. Best for those living in dry arid environments - use daily. For those in humid climates use once a week. All Fitzpatrick
- Wild Berry Nutrient Creme - Is your antioxidant rich cocktail of nourishment for dry skin. All Fitzpatrick
- Vitamin C Revitalizing Lotion - Megadose of Vitamin C is delivered to your skin in a lightweight, fluid liposome format to allow for penetration to the deepest layers of your skin. If your skin has hyperpigmentation and you are concerned with furthering the damage to your skin, this is a perfect moisturizer to start with. Vitamin C has a slight peel effect on your skin! All Fitzpatrick
Moisture Masks and Serums
- Manuka Honey Hydrating Gel Mask - Your ultra-hydrating gel mask, with moisture-locking manuka honey and antioxidant prickly pear extract, giving your skin a super boost of hydration. Apply a generous amount to your face and neck, avoiding eye area. Allow to penetrate your skin for 15-20 minutes. Use your best enzyme peel then follow with this gel hydrating mask. All Fitzpatrick
- Daytime Serum #2 - A deeply penetrating oil with a natural SPF of 3-5. Use daily after your Rose Toner, allow to sit for 5 minutes then layer with your favorite creme. All Fitzpatrick types need more SPF.
- Daytime Serum #3 - A thick serum that deeply nourishes your skin. Filled with meadowfoam oil, this rich oil mimics your own natural sebum. Use for especially dry skin. All Fitzpatrick
- Vitamin C15 Wrinkle Repair Serum - This is your potent daily serum formulated to firm, brighten and protect your skin while helping reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. A powerful blend of 15% L-Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Vitamin E and Oat Beta Glucan helps to correct your skin tone and stimulate collagen production. Hyaluronic Acid adds essential moisture and helps calm irritation. All skin types will benefit from this.
- Cooling Eye Gel - Use twice daily. For Fitzpatrick 1-6.
- Vitamin K Brightening Eye Serum - A nutrient-rich cream that combines brightening Vitamin K with Mica and Silica to help improve skin tone. Vitamin K: This is used in skin care to reduce skin discolorations. Horse Chestnut: Renowned for its ability to improve circulation and vascular health. Mica & Silica: These act as cosmetic concealers by refracting light to even skin tone and leave a flawless finish. Brighten and Revitalize your lovely eyes. Perfect for all skin types.
- Luminous Primer - For those desiring a luminous complexion and longer wearing makeup (if used prior to makeup application). Can be used alone without the application of makeup. All Fitzpatrick.
What else will help in your whole health skincare and body care routines?
- Radiance tincture and tea to nourish your skin from the inside.
- Body creams for moisture on the rest of your body. Moisture is still needed and wanted by your skin.
- Mineral SPF for face. These are perfect for most Fitzpatrick 3-6 You will love this.
- Deodorants that allow your body to remove toxins, naturally. Non antiperspirant, natural types.
- Facial - peels and high frequency ultra sonic exfoliation every 3-4 weeks (my FAV!). This is helpful to all skin types for deeper exfoliation to bring about skin renewal.* As always, micro current is vastly beneficial to all types of skin.
Happy Fall! It’s time to get into a new routine and bring out your best skin!
As always, if you have any questions please get in touch with me.
*The Fitzpatrick scale and your skin.
This scale was developed in 1975, by Harvard dermatologist Thomas B. Fitzpatrick. It acts as a way to classify the skin according to the amount of pigment your skin has and your skin's reaction to sun exposure. This information is helpful in determining the amount of sun damage and potential risks of skin cancer to your skin.
If you would like to know more about the Fitzpatrick scale please visit my blog.